McKinney-Vento Act - Assistance for Homeless Youth
Education of Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness
The main objective of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvement Act of 2001 (Public Law 107-110, Subtitle B) is to make sure homeless youth have access to appropriate education while removing barriers that homeless children face. Its goal is to minimize interruptions to the education of homeless youth. The Wallenpaupack Area School District is committed to working collaboratively with families and local agencies to support homeless youth in our school community. If you believe you fall into the category of children in youth experiencing homelessness or know of someone who is please contact the homeless liaison listed below.
The Homeless Liaison of the Wallenpaupack Area School District is:
Mrs. Ann Monaghan
Wallenpaupack Area High School
2552 Route 6
Hawley, PA 18428.
Phone: (570)226-4557 ext. 3036
The Regional Coordinator for Education of Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness is:
Mr. Jeff Zimmerman
368 Tioga Avenue
Kingston, PA 18704.
Below are number of useful documents and materials including information about local shelters and resources, and general information on what rights children and youths experiencing homelessness have.
- ECYEH General Guide
- FAQ Homeless Youth
- Homeless but not Helpless - The News Eagle - contains information about resources in Wayne and Pike counties
- Homeless Poster Parent English
- Homeless Poster Youth English
- Lackawanna County Homeless Shelters And Resources
- PA Handbook for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness
- Rights of Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness
- Dispute Letter - English